Tuesday, December 18, 2012

We were REINDEERS!

“From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life.” ~ Arthur Ashe
On Sunday December 16, Krystina and I were Reindeer delivering toys to families for the Child Abuse Prevention Center.  To make it even better, the company I work for partnered with CAPC this year to donate toys and deliver.  So I got a little work props for doing something I had planned long before I found out about our involvement.  I have volunteered, driven at risk youth and spoken to groups through CAPC in the past 10 years.  They have a wonderful, Teen Voices Teen Choices program for teen moms and at risk young ladies.  A forum for open discussion about the realities of being a teen mom, how to avoid it and to inspire if that situation arises.  As a survivor of domestic violence I have been honored to help break the cycle in their lives.
 
Reindeer Day was by far a favorite day because I got to do this with my daughter.  We talked at great length about the families and why CAPC was giving them toys and gifts.  The first house we visited had 7 large bags as well as a baby walker to be delivered.  They lived at the FURTHEST point from the underground parking and it took us over an hour to deliver all of the gifts to them.  The Grandmother that greeted us even taught Krystina a little Spanish with each delivery – so much fun!  We completed a total of 3 deliveries over the 4 hours that we were reindeer.  We met with each family, played with their children and wished them a Merry Christmas on our way. 

Spending time with my daughter doing what I love makes each event so much sweeter.  There aren’t many photos from the day to preserve each families anonymity however here are a few of my reindeer and I... partners in crime.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment