Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Softball with the Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball team


I am the first to admit that I am not overly athletic; I have the heart but not necessarily the skill. I was invited to play on the celebrity softball team during the exhibition against the national Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball team; I was terrified of letting the team down especially with members like Leah O'Brien who is a 3 time Olympic gold medalist in SOFTBALL.

The Youth Athletic Park at Lake Mission Viejo was the site of the Second Annual Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball game against the Orange County Veterans & First Responders softball team. All proceeds from the game went to the WWAST.

After the Wounded Warrior team lost to the OC First Responders they were on a mission to show the celebrity team whose field it really was. We gave them a run for their money but came up short in the 4th inning of this exhibition game. The WWAST hit themselves to a 15-7 victory over players including former Anaheim Angels Pitcher Justin Speier, 3-time Olympic softball gold medalist Leah O’Brien-Amico, and Servite High School graduate former Indianapolis Colts defensive player Chris Gallipo.

First baseman Josh Wege was caught dancing and even going into the splits trying to catch a pop fly during the game while catcher Matias Ferreira ran the bases with glee after hitting his first homerun of the game, even when the umpire joked it wasn't a homerun. There was no shortage of joking and enthusiasm during the games, maybe even a little trash talking. Before the WWAST versus Celebrity game, the catcher Matias Ferreira came up to me and smiled.... "Is the Princess ready to get dirty?" I laughed it off until I realized I was playing outfield in the MUD. I will say though, I was the only outfielder that didn't fall in the mud so I call that a win.

I was so thankful for the support of my family and friends that came out to cheer me on, and maybe poke fun a little. I am grateful to the Red White and Blue Warriors for including me in such a wonderful event. I am honored to have been on the same field as the Wounded Warrior team; they were both gracious and humbled.

I look forward to next year - hopefully competing on the celebrity team as Mrs. International.








No comments:

Post a Comment